Surgery

2 comments
Last Thursday I found another lump. It felt like a BB, smooth and hard, lower than the first lump and more towards my underarm where the 2 cancerous tumors are. I called my doctor to see if I should come in and he said to remind him on Monday and he’d take a look at it. On Monday he decided that he would incise both masses so we could determine what they are. He kept saying they don’t feel like cancer; they’re more smooth and rounded compared to the tumors in my arm that are more jagged and rough feeling and definitely felt like cancer.

Despite the radioactive dye and a second dye he injected during surgery, he was unable to locate the sentinel node which they planned to remove to determine if the cancer had spread. He ended up doing a lymph node dissection and removed the tumors along with numerous lymph nodes that were all encased in a fat pouch in my underarm. The lumpectomy recovery would have been 2 weeks but adding the lymph node dissection bumps recover out to 3 to 6 weeks.

Holy shit that’s a big scar! I thought the incisions on my breast would be much smaller. Had I known the length, I would have insisted on my plastic surgeon from before patching me up. The underside of my arm is so numb and I’m having all sorts of pain from the severed nerves. I have to stretch my arm over my head several times a day to prevent the skin from adhering to the muscle since there is no more fat between the two. My right hand is colder and repetitive motions are out, so I’m tpying and texting one handed when I can and with lots of typos.

My Dad and Step-Mom were with me for surgery and have moved in so I have around the clock care which has been so great. My Mom just had double knee replacement surgery and can’t fly for 2 months so its been hard on both of us only being able to support each other remotely (although I know it’s been much harder on her, as having your kids suffer is the absolute worst). Scott left for Montreal for work last night, so my Mother-in-Law was able to fly out to help while he’s gone. I am so grateful for all of the support from family, friends and co-workers. I can’t thank everyone enough. More soon.

5/19/19

2 comments :