Great Oncology Appointment

No comments
My Dad came with to meet my new oncologist Dr. Mala Reddy. I'm really happy with her. She meet with us for over an hour, answered all our questions and never rushed us. It felt great being listened to and heard.

"Infiltrating ductal carcinoma" again. The tumors are hormone positive Er+/PR+, HER2- again. Grade 2 (moderately growing cancer cells) again. We won't know what stage it is, if it's metastasized, or if I need chemo until the pathology report after surgery. So far it looks the same as the first cancer and in the same area so it's considered a local recurrence. With a mastectomy and no cancer found in the lymph nodes, about 5 out of 100 women will have a local recurrence in the armpit or the chest wall within ten years. Lucky me, I got both. Maybe I should play the lottery.

It's hard not to wonder whether my lifestyle has been a contributing factor to the tumors coming back (too much alcohol/sugar, not enough exercise). But breast cancer recurrence has nothing to do with lifestyle choices, character traits or emotional stress. Regardless, I'm going to try to make some changes to get my body in the best health it can be.

Pre surgery advice to follow:
• Get regular exercise
• Eat things that agree with me and that I enjoy
• Find the right balance of activity and relaxation
• Get as much restful sleep as I can
• Generally do things I enjoy

Lifestyle changes post surgery:
• I need to commit to lifting weights 3 times a week to help improve bone density. (Scott is more than willing to be my personal trainer, so I just need my future self to kick my present self in the ass and get off the couch and work out consistently)
• Need to find walking buddies to get out and walk more often. Anyone know of any buddy fitness apps? I used Walkadoo for a work challenge and I actually was out every day getting my steps, but it doesn't work with iOS anymore. I'm trying to find an app so friends near and far can connect and encourage each other to get more active.
• Diet changes. Not sure what yet, but trying to figure it out.

On Thursday 5/2, I'm going in for my first bone scan and CT scan to check for any other areas of concern that would warrant more biopsies. Until we get those results I'm trying to keep busy and not think or talk about it as there are too many variables and it's easy to wander down dark what ifs. It was reassuring that my oncologist said we did all we could the first time with what we knew. Medically they wouldn't have done anything different. Just the luck of the draw, no real reason for recurrence. Knock on wood it hasn't spread...

4/29/19

No comments :

Post a Comment